Monday, August 18, 2014

Netball

Netball is a sport only recently (term two) taken up by my kids. Not a sport that I played other than during PE at boarding school, they went to the fun/sign on day, and then begged to continue. There went my Tuesday afternoons for two full terms…

So we dutifully attend practice every Tuesday afternoon. Due to clashing events, my kids didn’t get to attend two out of town tournaments, but we had one at home recently. Unfortunately the teams from the other town decided not to come at the last minute (rude!)  but there were enough kids to make up three teams and they had a great time playing against each other.

IMG_8824IMG_8828

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Angus loved playing. Took a hard ball to the face and was very wounded for a moment with tears however the coaches didn’t let him hang around sooking to mum (just quietly I think the town mums are a bit different to our small schools/distance ed mums…)

IMG_8830

IMG_8883

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_8848

IMG_8930

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Georgie also took a ball to the side of the head (a few tears) then back into it. After all this was their first competitive game! They really loved being in the uniform (the biggest girl doing lots of swirly turns in her dress).

IMG_8858

IMG_8952IMG_8978

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can’t even remember what team won at the end; a sausage sizzle lunch was made and fed to the kids, then much to my dismay they wanted to have a mums V kids game.  I have no issues with throwing a ball but my knowledge of netball rules extends to no travel with the ball.  I was constantly out of my area and too close to the opposing players. But the kids had fun even if dear lord, my knees felt hammered the next day.(I did end up on the floor after tripping over and trying to avoid landing on my child…that is NOT a soft surface, rather is just painted concrete) Now I completely understand why netball players have bung knees.

Now…how long til the end of term?

3 comments:

  1. Great game. I am a no1 Qld Firebirds fan. Your mob look like stars of the future.
    Did you get any of the rain? We got about 4 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a week away from my computer and you churn out blog posts like a machine!
    Don't the netball uniforms look great.
    My netballing experiences sound similar to your own, though recently at a school disco the parents decided to enjoy a little friendly game. Five minutes in, I realised there was no 'friendly' involved, full-blown warfare more likely. Non-contact sport my hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the uniform colours! Angus looks like a pro too. I'm afraid more netball experience is light on as well. Wonder if there will be any tips coming home from the Sports camp this week!!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...