Sunday, September 28, 2014

I just need a hand, he said

Ah the infamous words…I just need a hand. We all know how that goes. So I packed lunch and smoko, and the kids and headed off to the prickle farm to help The Husband put up a fence around a tank.  Well, not so much put up, but pull down the old one so a new improved model could be installed.

IMG_4721This may sound a simple task, but much machinery and equipment was required. Firstly we had to wait for Dad to arrive with the bulldozer.  Dad (I should have known better) vastly over estimated the speed of his machine and so we had a bit of a wait. This allowed me to catch up on some reading, and the kids to catch up on some sword stick fighting and generally do their best to maim each other before smoko.

IMG_4732

IMG_4734

IMG_4738

(is this a case of I HAVE ALL OF THESE BOYS TOYS SO I’M GOING TO USE ALL OF THEM TODAY?!)

First job of the day, after feeding the troops, was to roll up the barbed wire fence that was sort of still standing.

IMG_4751

Clearly my gloves have seen better days and this little chore did not do them any favours. Whilst I was rolling the bulldozer did its thing VERY closely behind me, removing trees that could drop limbs on the new solar panels that are to be installed beside this tank. Speaking of Boys Toys, there were two boys in that bulldozer with big dusty smiles on their faces as they inhaled dieseline fumes and did lots of brooooming as they made an unholy dusty mess.

I also discovered – well I had a fair inkling – that I lack the skills to create anything more artistic than this out of barbed wire.

IMG_4754

IMG_4748

Then came the super fun part (please read that in sarcasm font). Digging holes with the post hole digger on the tractor. There’s about 3 feet of super fine sand and then a big old flat hard rock after that. A three foot deep hole isn’t ideal however is not so bad if one has to bale out the super fine sand by hand after the post hole digger has finished.

IMG_4774

(I wasn’t just taking photos! sheesh. That’s my shovel sticking out of a hole there in front of me).

Once holes were close enough is good enough, in went the frame for the solar panels and cement to hold it in place.

IMG_4781

At this point in time, after putting the frame in place and putting in two strainer posts for the fence that was to go around this structure, it was discovered that we were out of both vital materials and day. So all toys were parked up or packed up and homewards we went. The kids were delighted that I managed to get sand bogged in the ute (however nothing that the application of hubs in and 4WD didn’t fix…which reminds me, I always forget the HUBS OUT part. Wonder how many kilometres before The Husband realises and takes the hubs out again….)

Anyhow. I digress. We got home just on dark – and in time for some golden light that enabled me to take this photo.

Great end to a good days work.

IMG_4808

Grubby faced,  bare footed children and sharp toothed pups make the best photos do they not? Smile

5 comments:

  1. Am loving reading your blog Sharon. Reminds me of when my life was very similar. Louise Cox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, looks like the way such a job should go. Love the way things work at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now a bulldozer would come in handy around here but I'm not telling Rob that I had that thought .... he'll have to be happy with the bobcat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew was super impressed with the dozing video as he happened to walk past. What is it with men and dozers?
    My work gloves are in a similar state of repair, but the day I decided I was better off without them was a good lesson that they do serve a very useful purpose.
    Love that last photo. Gorgeous kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the grubby-face bare-footed children shot!
    Hope you are well, I have been a bit absent around these parts lately. xx

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...