Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stark Contrast

Remember this, a couple of weeks ago?

In stark contrast to what is happening in the southern states, last night we had 130mms of rain (or 520 points in the old imperial measurement).

This rain is the heaviest fall we have measured in one hit since we moved here, 7 years and 11 days ago. (We moved here on the 29th January 2002 - about 4 months after we were married - and our oldest child was born exactly 12 months later...so its an easy date to remember!)

So this morning, the northern side of our little town was again flooded, with the water well over the gutter and flowing strongly towards the creek. There is a levy bank that runs around this side of town, to divert water from the flood plain and into the creek, and away from the houses. Over the years it has been worn down, and this year, due to our earlier good falls of rain and the ground being soaked with water already, the levy has not been able to contain the water... but no real harm done! Kids were rather hoping that school would be called off due to "flooding", but considering that 99% of them only have to trot up the bitumen road, the teacher wasn't about to be conned! A mob of kids ended up playing in the water in front of my house this afternoon, so they had their water play. I am sure the novelty will wear off soon. I hope, for the laundry's sake.

And just to completely change the subject, I will leave you with this. I was actually looking for a photograph from seven years and 11 days ago to share with you, but instead found this one...MUCH longer ago - in the early 1980's I think!

This is of my brothers and I riding my uncle's stallion - who quite resembles our new mate Ben, in looks and temperment. I think they're related. Don't you reckon they look alike?

This is just depressing. Me and my brothers again. I still have that little purple outfit. I don't think I could get the skirt past my knees these days! I think I need a Freddo to make me feel better about it...sigh. This was taken pre-husband and kids...but only just. If I remember correctly, I think I was in the sights of my now husband, at the time!

I'll be back tomorrow with some more "flood" photos - and some scrapping! Now, I'm off to find where I put my spotty gumboots. I think it'll be a few days before I'll be going out the front gate without getting my feet wet. 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...