Sunday, April 26, 2009

Anzac Day

Every year our tiny community holds an Anzac Day service, which is preceded by a "march" from the school to the memorial stone at our town hall. Usually we are led by horsemen and women, one of whom carries the flag. I have ridden in past years, but this year elected to walk.

The school kids pretty much do the service, reading the Ode and poems etc. A retired serviceman who has been a resident of our town his whole life (excluding his time in the armed forces) gives a small speech.

After the service we move to the front verandah of the pub, where this year we enjoyed morning tea - anzac biscuits, piklets, sandwhiches and the like, provided by the P & C.
These words never fail to evoke a reaction in me.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we Forget.


Kate has been quite excited about Anzac Day, the kids have been practising their little service at school. We've asked her what it was all about - " we have to remember all of the soldiers". When the kids are a little older I will show them the mini series "The Anzacs" that I saw in my teens. If you haven't seen it, you should.

On a more practical note, I put the photos on a 6x8 "canvas" for printing later, and plan on mounting it on 8.5 x 11 or A4 cardstock. I think this digital version is a little plain and might add a flower or a couple of brads in real life. I don't have any "real looking" digital ones, and I only have freebie stuff from the likes of designer digitals (I like to save my money for REAL touchy feely stuff!)

Speaking of, I'm waiting for some scrumptious paper I found on sale at Scrapboxx to arrive, along with some swiss dotted bazzill from Remember When...and I couldn't resist some new AC letter stickers from there as well.

I wonder if there was any way that I could put scrapbooking supplies down as Office Supplies?

{wink wink}

2 comments:

Other posts you might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...